Monday, April 28, 2008

There's Not Enough Time for Your Liver; Sorry.


Here's the thing... I like shots and vaccinations just as much as the next person; however, I lack the maturity and time management skills necessary to safeguard myself from a.) myself, and b.) disease, more specifically: HEPATITIS B. So I'm going to Ghana. It's been confirmed- I leave in less than 48 hours. I first fly into Germany and will be hanging out with my dearly missed Emily Anderson, and technically, I won't actually step foot in Africa until May 8th, but even still, "THERE JUST ISN'T TIME," says the burly haired clinician who wouldn't administer all of my HepB vaccination. "You should have come in sooner." Honestly who says that... "hi, there just isn't time for your liver. Better luck next time?"
I don't understand what this means. All I really know is that after about 600$ and 6 painful injections, I am still not 100% clear on hepatitis. Now, please refer to the map above. For those of you who are unclear, Ghana is on the central west coast of Africa. Note the darkly shaded green "high risk" shading in the region. I am not exactly sure how one goes about contracting the HPVB, as I have heard so many people affectionately refer to it as, but my mother has just about scared me into an early grave about it. I think, by her descriptions, that by breathing, eating, or even sleeping over there, I am at "high risk"... This is frightening. I can't really hold my breath for longer than a minute or so and while I can probably go longer than that without food or rest, it is unlikely that I can survive 5 weeks without at least one of the two. Pray for me. I love you all, but the question is: will you still love me when my eyes turn yellow?

3 comments:

emmielou said...

I'm callin you tonight you better answer. Can't wait to see you.

Jacob and Magen said...

Hey you crazy girl! I hope you have some fun while you are there. we didn't even know you were you going. We love you and Jake and I will be praying super hard for you. I hope the time flies and I pray you can hold your breath for 5 weeks...... hahahahah
'
magen

Unknown said...

Jo, you okay? I heard you aren't feeling too great in Ghana.