Monday, September 19, 2011

How to be Annoying: An Original Playwright



Characters:
Joanna- early 20's, student/unemployed, enjoys morse code and skeleton buildings. Little Wayne: not really, but close look-alike, late 20's-ish, enjoys diamonds on his grillz and oversized basketball jerseys.
Setting:
Joanna sat on a metal bench widdeling away at her beloved sudoku puzzles while waiting for the light-rail to make its way to her stop. With her earbuds in tightly, she listened to the Lara Croft "Tombraider" soundtrack (Don't judge her.)
, and wondered whether she'd be cast as a super-hero or villain if someone were to make a x-men character out of her. In sum, she was content. Then immediately, DISTRACTION.
Act I.
Joanna (thinking to herself): What's that? Little Wayne? slothing his way over to my bench? No... wait, really? you're going to sit down next to me? {she looks around at the crowds of empty benches, again noting that they are empty.}
Oh duh, you're just gettin' a drink from the drinking fountain. no bid deal- wait. no. you passed the fountain. code-red. please, no. I just want to play my sudo-
Little Wayne (in soft breathy voice): I was wondering, you know when that trainbus is gettin' here?
Joanna: huh?
Little Wayne: When the next trainbus is commin'.
Joanna (removes earbuds): 5 minutes I think.

Little Wayne stares at Joanna as she puts her earbuds back in, attempts to ignore him and play sudoku for the next 45 seconds. He interrupts, Joanna counteracts, and they engage in the most riveting conversation ever known to mankind:
"What's that? Sudoku. No, I mean that big-ass scar on your arm. Oh, this one? YE-aah, that one. Right, it's a 'big-ass' scar. Why? I broke it. Why? gymnastics. Oh I see, I see, you
wanna da be a cheerleader. No, I actually didn't make the team. OH DE-AAAAMN, you feel tougher now? No, why would that [not making the cheer team 10 years ago] make me feel tougher now? 'Cuz you got'a bad-ass scar."
Act II.
Little Wayne follows Joanna onto the the light-rail and insists on sitting next to her. She tries to end the conversation but Little Wayne resists. At this point, there are several people watching in amusement, or horror, depending on their individual take on public exposure.

"I'm gonna finish my sudoku now. Am I being all annoying and shi*? Yes. How you play that suu- dO-ku-o? You play it like any other puzzle. Ya, but dat's all numbers and shi*. Ok I'm turning my i-pod back on now. Yo, I gotta bad ass scar too. please don't show me, Cool. Ya but I do feel tougher cuz you know I jumped outta' a car on the freeway and shi*. That's unfortunate. I'll show you. No, don't. It's just right under my shirt stop trippin'. No seriously, don't show me. A'ight, right here, see? Ok that's not even a scar; that's a scab. Ye-aah, the dr.'s said it won't never be like my other skin again. Stop picking at it and put your shirt back down. I'm just always gon' have dis scar forever. Seriously it's just a scab. Like, it aint never gonna go away. That sucks, put your shirt back down. Oh, yo I got to take this {Cue Notorious B.I.G. ringtone}, it's my music agent."

3 comments:

emmielou said...

I am dying right now, only to you Jo, only to you!

o said...

hahahaaaa!! im dying. and i think i know this character. i ride the light rail to school daily. how ridiculous are those humans? and im glad im not the only one who plays sudoku to wash out the creepiness.

Joanna said...

girl you take the lightrail too? This is outstanding. What time of day so I can stalk you?